The Holy Cross Pastoral Council is committed to serving the parish and parishioners of Holy Cross Church. As a council we exercise shared responsibility for the pastoral life of the parish under the leadership of the pastor. Our purpose is to prayerfully engage the people and the pastor in common reflection about the parish’s mission and its ministries, to plan, and to evaluate in light of the Gospel and church teaching. Our responsibilities include researching the needs and hopes of the Holy Cross faith community; supporting existing ministries; evaluating the quality of life of the faith community; and planning for our parish’s future by recommending programs that will fulfill the Church’s mission.
The council is made up of parishioners serving as representatives from the commissions, as well as at-large parishioner representatives, a staff representative and the pastor. We meet the first Wednesday of each month from September through June. All are welcome to attend. If you would like to place an item on the meeting agenda, please call the Pastoral Center and leave a message for the council chair.
The Pastoral Council is advisory in nature. The Council does not involve itself in the administration of the parish. Nor does it directly supervise any of the ministries, activities or organizations within the parish community. Rather, it deals with the mission of the Church, discerning long-range and short-range goals and objectives, and designing those procedures and processes by which the pastoral work of the Church is to be accomplished. Further, it coordinates parish activities to insure that the stated goals, objectives and priorities are implemented and maintained.
It is, therefore, critical that the Pastoral Council promote continuous dialogue and communication among and between the clergy, professional staff, council members, ministries, parishioners, and other communities.
- To hold the Parish accountable to the Parish Mission Statement.
- To set direction and evaluate parish life annually.
- To serve as an avenue of communication with the Parish at large as well as the Commissions.
- To seek out present needs and suggestions for changes within the Parish.
- To plan for the future by recommending policies, procedures and programs that will implement the Parish's values and fulfill the Church's mission.
- To encourage, support, and evaluate existing ministries.
- To call forth new ministries in response to Parish needs.
Click Here to leave an e-mail for the Pastoral Council
Members and officers for 2011 - 2012Tracy Halsema – Chair / At Large
Kevin Butler - Vice Chair / Worship Commission
Gena Smith – Secretary / At Large
Jan Brengel – At Large
Leo Carter - At Large
Michelle Seio - Education Commission/At Large
Jeanie Sullivan - Human Concerns & Parish Life Commission
Mary Gramins – Worship Commission
Diane Chaput - Worship Commission
Jim Gill – At Large
Maryann Shutan – At Large
Susan Weiss – Education Commission
Mary Ann Spina – Pastoral Associate / Staff Representative
Fr. Vince Costello – Pastor
The pastoral council has developed the following guidance documents for the parish:
- Pastoral Council Guidelines
- Commission Guidelines
- Criteria for Dissolving a Ministry
- Guide for Parish Events and Meetings
- Acceptable Practices for Parish E-Mail
- Parish-wide Blast E-Mail Information